Monday, September 11, 2023

Jonathan Lemon


Here is Jonathan Lemon (Rabbits Against Magic) (Alley Oop) wearing his GoCreator pin on his snazzy tuxedo at the 77th Annual Reuben Awards of The National Cartoonists Society (nationalcartoonists.com), September 8, 2023.

To quote Jonathan, "I'm just a straight up English boy, with buck teeth and impaired vision who lucked out, and now draws cartoons for a living. "

Email from Jonathan: "On the left is the Elzie Segar award that went to Hilary Price (very heavy) and the other is the main Reuben award that Bill Griffith got (more prestigious, but not as heavy). I was helping carry them after the ceremony (they get mailed back on request). They asked me because they needed a strapping young man with big muscles, but unfortunately I was the only person nearby. Of course, that's the closest I'll ever get to winning them :-)"

#FB00805

What a nice guy Jonathan is...

Apparently, some creators opt to have their awards follow them home by mail or some other means. They are heavy and big and hard to carry on an airplane. Same goes for trains, which was Bill Griffith's mode of transportation. The thought of having to carry this award around from connection to connection was probably just too much for him. One has to wonder what makes these awards so heavy. Are they made of bronze? 

-----------------

Thanks to d.d.degg at The Daily Cartoonist for his investigative research on these awards!

National Cartoonists Society Treasurer Drew Aquilina 
and NCS President Jason Chatfield replied to our inquiry 
about the weight of the awards. 
  
Said Jason: 
"I'm 'CCing' our Treasurer, Drew Aquilina, who organized the contract with 
the foundry (Rusty Mesa) to create the awards. I tried lifting the Segar, 
(and I can deadlift 330lbs), and I was in trouble after about 10 seconds... 
I had our stage assistant hold it up for everyone for a few seconds, before 
setting it down, so that C.J. Kettler and Hilary B. Price didn't have their 
shoulders pulled out of their sockets..." 
  
[King Features President Kettler presented The Segar to Price this year.]
  
Said Drew: 
"We don't have the weights, i would guess 7 pounds for the Reuben and 15 pounds for the Segar. The final weight would be the entire box and wrapping when you ship, as you know. 
I thought both Hilary and Bill were taking cars or rides home.  I know Bill was getting a ride home. I had boxes and everything and asked everyone, except Bill as i did not see him after the awards, if they needed them." 
 


Animated Cartoons

 Read about it here . #FB00838 .