As of 2016, it was reported that there were 44,000 subscribers worldwide (Wikipedia). I wonder what that figure is now, particularly after an unpopular relaunch.
*As usual, a typo is in the first line/question... "cause" instead of "caused." I'm hopeless.
Since 'The Conjurers" were mentioned as well, I found this explanation:
_________________________________________________________________
I either forgot or I don't remember hearing anything about why "The Conjurers" didn't return. I'm still numb when I think about what all my readers did to save me from the chopping block. I also remember "The Daily Cartoonist" (see bottom of story) giving me quite a bit of space to discuss my cancellation and later my return. I'm not sure if I wrote about any of this recently. After being away from "Frog Applause" and "Frog Blog" for a while, many things that I should remember are almost new to me now, as crazy as that sounds. Forgive me if I am boring any one with all of this. The only thing I recall vividly is receiving an email telling me that BOTH of my strips were being canceled. It hit like a ton of bricks and a "Dear John" letter combined. I remember crying, too. Inconsolably.
After a while, though, I tried to understand the rationale. GC was trying to save money by cutting back on their lineup... and my comics were, apparently, both highly dispensable and easily disposed of (press some buttons... no comic, no archive.)
The intent to cancel "Shoecabbage" didn't hit me as hard because it was in reruns, but "Frog Applause" was appearing daily and I was trying my best to build a readership and all that comes with that. Most of all, I had grown attached to my many long-time readers and the thought of losing that daily connection was just too much to think about.
Ultimately, "Frog Applause" was the only comic marked for cancellation to survive the cuts. "Shoecabbage" was canceled, but it had its day I told myself.
I will never, ever, forget what my lame readers did for me. The power of lame took over and... here I still are (sic)!!!. My medical hiatus wasn't exactly planned, but it was necessary to get myself cancer-free and get my energy back. I'm not going anywhere, my friends, as long as you continue to tolerate me and my lame comic.