Friday, April 23, 2021

LittleLameLetter response from a Frog Applause / Frog Blog reader (P.R.)

I hear you. I'm spared ennui due to handling family finances, dealing with my email, and trying to write in odd moments -- some odder than others. Wish I could take a break, but that will come week after next when I have my last wisdom tooth extracted. Oh, joy.


But I did run across a JPL report about tracing the wake of the Large Magellenic Cloud that, it turns out, is in its first and penultimate orbit of our galaxy. Turns out that as it goes, it's trailing a considerable amount of dark matter, which we cannot see or detect save as gravitational effects on large objects such as galaxies. So it's a study opportunity of Brobdingnagian scale, involving a wake made of stars much larger than the Milky Way. An interesting object of contemplation, even without the animation. I bring it to your attention as a subject deserving of your scrutiny.


#FB00456

Can Dogs Smell/Tell Time?

#FB00833